I'm just sitting up late because I can't sleep. My husband has gone to spend time with his buddy a.k.a "Brother from another mother" who's stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. I was supposed to have gone but I had work and all that mess. But that's another tangent entirely.
In school, I often end up "the old married" woman in the room. All the women I go to school with, and yes I'm using the word "woman" very losely there, aren't or haven't yet been in a serious enough relationship that would qualify them with enough experience to discuss the issues we discuss in school. Which is really a pain in the butt for me because it's obnoxious when they say things like "if my husband asks me to make him a sandwich I'm gonna tell him to get his own d**** sandwich". To which I just retort "then you're missing the point of marriage". Here's why:
Marriage is about sacrifice and compromise to create a balanced and harmonious happiness. Rome was not built in a day and neither is marital bliss. Marriage is very very hard most of the time, but it's the rest of the time that makes you work so darn hard to keep up with it.
My husband and I have only been married for about 2 1/2 years, however we have learned a few things and I have learned that you never stop learning. You're human beings and you're constantly evolving. Leave room for each other to grow and respect that space, respect each other no matter what. Communicate with each other even when it makes no darn sense and it hurts because you don't even want to be in the same room you're so angry. No one is a mind reader. When people stop respecting, stop communicating and start taking people for granted that's when things unravel. Believe me, people unravel very quickly when it comes to being detached and separated emotionally from a spouse.
So, the point of that rant is that I'm having to write a paper on wellness in the family or family practice basically. How marriages work, whether a parent can be a good parent if they're not meeting their own needs, and so on. And after doing my research and interviews and so on, it amazes me how much people miss. How people just stop looking for ways to love each other, stop looking for ways to care and meet up with their significant other. People have become so selfish. Or maybe they have always been that way.... what do you think?
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment